Applications are generally due in late August each year. This year's deadline is TBA.
The Fund has two main goals for supporting athletes:
- Provide necessary support to local nonprofit organizations that promote athleticism and engage area youth in traditional summer and winter sports, thus fostering our next generation of competitive athletes.
- Provide financial support for competitive, local, young athletes with strong regional, national and international promise in traditional winter and summer sports.
The UISF Committee places greater emphasis on holistically improving programs that aim to lift up athletes. Individual awards are given to athletes who demonstrate significant promise on the national and international stage, and who face substantial economic hurdles.
See these frequently asked questions for additional information about eligibility and the application process.
The fund focuses on supporting athletes in the greater Tri-Lakes region.
- Preference will be given to applicants with a strong performance history in their sport and those on track to regional, national, or international levels of competition.
- Equipment purchase needs will be weighed on case by case basis. There must be compelling financial need and applicant must demonstrate strong reasoning why this equipment is vital to your performance in the sport.
- Applicants in programs that are additionally supported by their school programs will be considered on a case by case basis.
- No one 14 yrs or under will be considered. (In other words, candidates must be 15 at the time of application, there are no exceptions.)
- Athletes must complete the application themselves. Some parental assistance is OK with financial information, but answers must be in applicant's own words.
- Applicants demonstrating high levels of community service will be given greater priority.
- All recommendations from coaches or other references must be completed by the deadline provided.
- IRS regulations do not require Adirondack Foundation to provide tax-related documentation to scholarship recipients. Recipients should check with their tax advisor to determine if their scholarship is taxable.
- Click here for a sample project budget.
- The committee places greater emphasis on holistically improving grassroots youth sports development and training programs that aim to lift up athletes and get them to the next level of competition. Additionally, programs that offer youth opportunities and/or exposure to new sports they may not otherwise be able to experience will receive preference.
- Typical grant awards range from $250 - $2,000.
1. Read the above to determine your eligibility.
2. If you have never used our Online Grants Manager, start by creating an account. If you already have an account, log in and follow the prompts.
For more information, visit our Online Grants Manager page.
3. Complete and submit your application.
You will receive an email confirmation after your application has been successfully submitted.
4. Wait to hear if you’ve received funding.
5. Promote your grant.
For those applicants who have been notified that they’ve received funding, you can access our Grantee Resources portal, where you’ll find sample press releases, sample social media posts, various versions of our logo, and other tools to help you share the good news. Don’t forget to tag us in your communications so that we can amplify your good work on our own digital channels.
6. Submit required reporting as needed.
The creators of the Uihlein-Ironman Sports Fund are interested in the impact that their grantmaking has on the individuals and organizations that receive grants. Recipients of the Uihlein-Ironman Sports Fund grants are required to provide a six-month update on how the grant funds were used, and how it helped them achieve their goals. Failure to complete this report could hurt chances for future grant support.
NOTE: If you or your organization received a grant in 2019 you will be eligible to apply only if you submitted a 2019 grantee report and fulfilled terms of the grant. All grantee reporting for UISF will be done through our Online Grants Manager. An email reminder will be sent to all recipients with instructions on how to complete your reports.